What is FUTA Tax?

Wu Law Firm

FUTA tax is among several employment-related taxes that businesses with payroll must pay to the government. FUTA (the Federal Unemployment Tax Act) initiated a program that works along with state unemployment programs to pay benefits to workers who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own.

Employers pay the 6% FUTA tax and no portion of the tax is deducted or withheld from employees’ wages or salaries. The first $7,000 paid to each employee during the year (after deducting any FUTA-exempt payments) is subject to FUTA tax.

Employers report their tax liability annually on IRS Form 940, but quarterly tax deposits may be required. The maximum FUTA tax an employer must pay per employee per year is $420 ($7,000 x .06). Generally, employers who pay state unemployment tax on employees’ wages can receive up to a 5.4% credit on their FUTA tax obligations.

Client Reviews

I've had the pleasure of using the Law Office of Matthew Wu as counsel on multiple immigration issues over the last three years and have been completely satisfied each and every time. He patiently listens to my problems and concerns and is always able to come...

Shangzhen W.

He is absolutely amazing! He is quick passionate and sincere. he knows the law and what would benefit many peoples situation. he is also very straight forward on what to expect. Matthew knows what he is talking about!! do yourself a favor and hire him! you...

Camille A

Matthew was my attorney for my divorce. He is patient and always provided me with excellent advice. He always returned my calls or emails quickly and gave my case its full attention. He continues to help me with ongoing issues with custody etc. I would highly...

Kathy M

Matthew knows many of the district attorneys and that makes a real difference in pleading a DUI case.

Roman B.

Matthew did a great job of listening to my concerns and suggestions. He was very open and receptive to any ideas I had. He gave me the best advice for each aspect of my divorce process. I always felt he respected my wishes and had my best interests in the...

Nicole E.
Fill out the contact form or call us at (646) 760-6315 to schedule your free consultation.

Leave Us a Message